Apply wood grain sealer (or shellac) before staining soft woods

carbavi

Nieuw lid
4 apr 2018
Hi everyone,

sorry to write in English (I'm spanish). I could translate with Google translate, but not sure if that would be a good idea :)

I am trying to find a wood grain sealer to apply before staining the wood. I am creating a coffee table from steigerhout (douglas) and want to stain it to donker eiken, but as we know, soft woods tend to have a blotchy finish when stained (pine/fir/douglas even more).

I was wondering if shellac as sanding sealer would be a good option (or any other product you could recommend).

I could not find online (Gamma, Rambo.nl, ...) a proper wood grain sealer with no color. I found something on Toolstation (Zwaluw woodsealer coating wit 750g) but it is white and also very thick.

I have Shellac Sanding sealer from Baptist (running out of, that is the reason why looking for something different), so:

• Will Shellac be a good option or will block the stain from penetrating the wood?
  • Where can I buy shellac flakes and denatured alcohol? Maybe what I am missing is the dutch working for denatured alcohol. (I just found this site for shellac flakes Schellakvlokken/Shellac flakes 0,5kg – Natuurverfwebshop)
  • Any other suggestion to seal the grain but allowing the stain to penetrate?

Almost all brands I see in Youtube videos (Zinsser Seal Coat, ...) are from USA and not easy to find here.

Thank you very much for your time :)

hdv

Post veel
24 nov 2019
Noord-Veluwe

carbavi

Nieuw lid
4 apr 2018
Thank you very much for your answers.

Now I know where to by Shellac and alcohol :)

Btw, applied Shellac (what I had remaining) and then the verfbeits and did not like it. The Shellac creates a layer and then the stain is not properly absorbed by the wood.

I found on amazon the Minwax Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner which I believe is the product should be used before staining.

Thanks again for the useful answer!

Victor.

Deze plek is voor toekomstige tekst. Door nu alvast deze kolom te activeren blijft de kolommen structuur ongewijzigd en de lezerservaring hetzelfde als er hier content geplaatst gaat worden.

Hier kan straks ook info geplaatst worden.