Beperkingen van uw draaibank

JPAJS

Post veel
18 jun 2012
't hoofd van Overijssel
A big-leaf maple burl was wood-turned on a VB36 lathe to make a speaker cone for a home music system. The burl started at 600 pounds and was shaped to form a cone about 30" long and 28" at the mouth. The inner curve of the cone followed a parabolic shape to a 2" opening. Part of the challenge was cutting through stones that were imbedded as the tree grew. I hope you enjoy watching something nature grew metamorphose into a pleasant and useful shape.

A client paid for this project as part of his home entertainment system. Following turning, the client immersed the wood in a specially fabricated steel vacuum drum. Instead of using pure tung oil which he thought "too expensive", he decided to save money and used hardware-store spar varnish, a foul-smelling finish, in an attempt to make the wood translucent, similar to Cook Island / Norfolk Pine. It told him the maple would not become translucent but he persisted. The speaker came out with such chemical smell that it was ruined for use in any home. The person that paid for this project had more money than common sense. He paid me $6000 and gave me an opportunity to stretch my talents as a wood turner

Laatst bewerkt:

Deze plek is voor toekomstige tekst. Door nu alvast deze kolom te activeren blijft de kolommen structuur ongewijzigd en de lezerservaring hetzelfde als er hier content geplaatst gaat worden.

Hier kan straks ook info geplaatst worden.