mcluma

Actieve deelnemer
25 feb 2011
Woking, UK
Wederom mijn excuses voor het plaatsen van deze thread in het engels

Groetjes
Chris

Fitting the library
My wife and son are real booklovers, she has been collecting books for a long period and in her collection she has a large number of very rare and collectable examples
I like especially the leather bound ones, as they look very distinctive
So when we did the house refurbishment it was a given that we were going to have a library, a place to show off her books, but also a place to relax and sit down to read a book – for me just a place to sit down and read the Sunday paper.
So the room will have no TV (probably the only room in the house without one) but will be hooked up the Nuvo sound system for nice background music
So my wife has been looking at ebay for about 2 years for a suitable library, one came up about a year ago, it came from a house in London that got refurbished and they were selling of the units together with 18m of wall panelling, all oak, so a truck load later it all was unloaded in my lock-up ( the garage of my mother in law who lives just 2 minutes away from me. So 2 weeks ago I started to fit it all – sounds easier then it is, but is it
This is what we bought

Untitled by mcluma, on Flickr

Off course the room it came from was not the same size as it was going into, neither was the shape the same, so it needed some changes to the layout. The best thing about quality cabinets is, you can take them apart and change the configuration – without breaking things.
We started on the left. This run was to long by about 300mm and would block the entry to the room – so that is not going to be, luckily the unit was a 600 unit so it was easy to shorten that by 300mm

Don’t despair love we can make this work

Like I said, we can make this work, shorten the base, and shorten the unit – fits like a glove

So we continue the run around the corner and refit the counter top, which was to long as well, so I had to shorten that one as well by 300mm
Here the first top unit placed (not fitted)

We also added electrics to the units (you never know and better done now then – later when it’s going to be much harder

mcluma

Actieve deelnemer
25 feb 2011
Woking, UK
So here all the top units fitted and the corner unit made smaller by 300mm

Well everything worked out fine except we are about 310mm short on the run at the back wall.

No problem – the material that I cut off the other unit is perfect for making a new 300mm unit and the counter top fits perfect – result!

That leaves just the space above to complete

But again what I cut off on the left side gave me enough material for the left side, even the shelves were a perfect fit

Then the cornice, I was not happy how they originally done that – it was crap. So I completely redid that
First put a 100mm upright base all around the unit (screwed from the top)

Followed by a secondary base of again 100mm

mcluma

Actieve deelnemer
25 feb 2011
Woking, UK
Cornice fitted – it surely helps to have a large cut-off saw to the cornice fits in to make the mitre cuts

The cornice is build up out of 3 pieces, first on top the large cornice (which is build up out of 6 pieces) the underneath the large one is a Scotia moulding and then a flat moulding

So that is the big unit done so now the other side of the room
There were a few spare units – which were of a different quality (crap) and size, and we thought of this L shape configuration

But that was a No No – so it was to build from scrap – yes scrap material - took some other units down and utilized the oak from that to build 2 new ones

That is one

And that is 2

I had enough material to also do the architrave around the door

mcluma

Actieve deelnemer
25 feb 2011
Woking, UK
Units fitted in the alcove, and as we had lots of panelling, I thought it would make a nice feature

Cornice fitted

Yes – I know that fire surround doesn’t look good – nice as it is, it just doesn’t go with the white oak

Problem solved

Just build a new one

How does that look??

mcluma

Actieve deelnemer
25 feb 2011
Woking, UK
Finished

Yesterday the carpet got fitted so this is how it looks now –
What is still have to do is
- fit the doors, but they are waiting for the glass.
- Fit a number of mouldings next to the panels of the build in (the only thing I have to buy additionally)

Thanks for looking

Deze plek is voor toekomstige tekst. Door nu alvast deze kolom te activeren blijft de kolommen structuur ongewijzigd en de lezerservaring hetzelfde als er hier content geplaatst gaat worden.

Hier kan straks ook info geplaatst worden.