Price of Wood

Geppetto

Actieve deelnemer
18 mrt 2014
OK, first a little background, I am not a woodworker nor I claim to be one,
about a year ago I discovered this great hobby and since than I spend nearly
every night in my small garage building something.... made of wood :)

I work basically with Multiplex, first from shops like Praxis but than with better quality from a lumber-yard.
Now I want to take the next step, I want to build a bed side cupboard but with nice real wood.

Here comes my problem, I make designes in sketup but I don't know how much something like
this will end up costing me. I called the lumber yard but they do not want to tell me the wood prices
they say that it depends... and I am sure it does, but what is a rough basic calculation method
I can use before I even begin a project?

If I want to make it out of Mahonie... I know all of the measures, how can I calculate ... about... how much that would cost me?

I guess I have a lot to learn, but I need to start somewhere :)

Thanks
Nic

janwillem

Actieve deelnemer
14 sep 2015
Groningen
At fijnhouthandel drenthe the price of Mahoni is around 2000 euro per m^3, including tax (1700 without).

Since the dimensions of the planks they have might not exactly match the ones you require I think you need to take around 20% more than you actually net need.
I think it's hard to tell beforehand exactly how much you need, for instance when their planks are only 3m long and you need only pieces that are 1.6m long, or if you want to be all the planks to be of the same width you will need just need to count howmuch you can use from any board.

Good luck

willem1958

Post veel
28 jul 2015
wormerveer
Hai Gepetto, i don't know where you live here in Holland but here on this site there is a list with timber traders in the Netherlands.
Then you can find some adresses in your neighborhood.
Just type the words overzicht houthandels and press go and you'll find more than 100 or so.
Good luck!

Ernest Dubois

Post veel
7 jun 2013
shinglemaker.wordpress.com
Don't worry about figuring all that out, total length in cm +width cm + thickness x o.003 or something brings you your portion of a m3 but it's only interesting if you need to do it for selling, just buy as much of the wood you like as you can afford.

janwillem

Actieve deelnemer
14 sep 2015
Groningen
... total length in cm +width cm + thickness x o.003 or something brings you your portion of a m3 ...

Please don´t use that formula :) Adding up centimetres won't give cubic metres.

If you compute the volume of the material you need, you can make a rough estimate for the price. At the woodstore you should figure out howmuch you actually need, and it is there where you see howmuch you approximately loose.

Ernest Dubois

Post veel
7 jun 2013
...or something... see Jan it was not meant literally just illustrating a point that it is so easy to get obsessed by numbers and loose sight of the enjoyment of wood. Often, especially in the beginning trying to save wood by calculation actually wastes more.

Anyway, the principle is correct, cm2 are just little parts of m3 meters, right?

A

Athanor

At the Open Dag Hout in Zutphen next sunday you can meet several lumburyards and orientate on the possibillities. See the link below.

Fons

Geppetto

Actieve deelnemer
18 mrt 2014
Thanks a lot guys, here is a little update after yesterday.
My parents back in Italy, have most of their forniture hand made by local woodworkers in mahoni, I always liked that wood hence that is what I am looking for.

Yesterday after posting this, I went to visit a lumber yard (will not mention the name)
The price per cubic meter of rough (not planed) mahoni was similar to what has been suggested here above, about 2000 per cubic meter including BTW
I than asked the price of a planned piece of the same wood (Mahoni Sipo) with the following measures that they had on the shelf:

D:2 cm
B:21 cm
L: 1,85 m

the price asked was 25 euros. This is when I think I left the lumberyard crying :)
I know wood is expensive but for what I just designed, it's is going to cost me a fortune and I am wondering if I need to re-think it.
I add here what I like to make, it will have few adjustments but this is the basic idea.

Screen Shot 2015-09-23 at 12.42.39.jpg

willem1958

Post veel
28 jul 2015
wormerveer
Thanks a lot guys, here is a little update after yesterday.
My parents back in Italy, have most of their forniture hand made by local woodworkers in mahoni, I always liked that wood hence that is what I am looking for.

Yesterday after posting this, I went to visit a lumber yard (will not mention the name)
The price per cubic meter of rough (not planed) mahoni was similar to what has been suggested here above, about 2000 per cubic meter including BTW
I than asked the price of a planned piece of the same wood (Mahoni Sipo) with the following measures that they had on the shelf:

D:2 cm
B:21 cm
L: 1,85 m

the price asked was 25 euros. This is when I think I left the lumberyard crying :)
I know wood is expensive but for what I just designed, it's is going to cost me a fortune and I am wondering if I need to re-think it.
I add here what I like to make, it will have few adjustments but this is the basic idea.

Bekijk bijlage 35921

I also think that wood here in Holland is very expensive, especially hardwood and tropical hardwood.
There are two reasons for it I think; Holland is a small country so a lot of wood has to be imported and prices on the world market has risen very much the last 10 years because of a higher demand.
I hope you find what you need for a reasonable price or maybe otherwise you can build it with mdf and veneer .

janwillem

Actieve deelnemer
14 sep 2015
Groningen
@Ernest: I'm sure you know how to calculate the price of the timber you are buying, however the formulae as you wrote them makes the brain of a theoretical physicist itch a bit :) I'm sure however I made the rooky mistake of calculating everything too.. Ah well..

@Gepetto: About the price of planed wood: This is why I decided to buy unplaned and then try to do it myself.. In most big cities there are workshops that you can use for a couple €€, just make sure they have the equipment. The ad on marktplaats doesn't tell if BTW is included, without it's €1500/m^3, but including tax you again pay €1800+, and that isn't planed as well..
What I heard is that planing is not too difficult, when the boards are not very long. Judging by the dimensions in your drawing the longest is roughly a meter.. Should be fine **as I have heard, haven't done it myself yet**

Ernest Dubois

Post veel
7 jun 2013
I go more into the discussion even though is it beyond the range of Nic's question because it gets to a kind of approach to how we work. Going down the responses it becomes more clear that indeed Nic is wanting a formula, his approach is formulaic, and it's ironic that my spoof was the only attempt to give him a formula, most responses were referring to where he could look at wood.But ok, no problem in many ways, in fact it is probably the conventional way. You want to calculate the costs, that is how I was taught at HMC anyway, so who can criticise if these are the thoughts at the start of making our workpiece.

I suggest there is a way, particularly for amateurs, maybe more based on a feel or an attachment for wood that makes it more than numbers of measurement and price - but not saying these are not important, maybe it's a matter of priority. I say it like Krenov, get the wood you can afford, and then get a little bit more.

When we go into getting customized dimensioned wood made up for you it complicates things. Then cost begins to be a serious part of getting your wood.

Yes, it's far more that the topic at hand but it is the other side that is in my opinion far to little represented on this website.

7 mrt 2015
P'beek
What can I say..... solid wood, is more expensive than compressed fibreboard and fineer and as such, forget about the price levels you see at Ikea and sorts.
However. Making your first piece of furniture, from solid wood, successfully is pretty much priceless and potentially an heirloom :)

Consider combining fineer or less expensive wood on the internal and solid wood fronts to keep the cost low but still look the part.....

- - - Updated - - -

What can I say..... solid wood, is more expensive than compressed fibreboard and fineer and as such, forget about the price levels you see at Ikea and sorts.
However. Making your first piece of furniture, from solid wood, successfully is pretty much priceless and potentially an heirloom :)

Consider combining fineer or less expensive wood on the internal and solid wood fronts to keep the cost low but still look the part.....

Deze plek is voor toekomstige tekst. Door nu alvast deze kolom te activeren blijft de kolommen structuur ongewijzigd en de lezerservaring hetzelfde als er hier content geplaatst gaat worden.

Hier kan straks ook info geplaatst worden.