Where can I buy lijnzaad?

Geppetto

Actieve deelnemer
18 mrt 2014
Hello guys,

I am making a cutting board, where can I buy some food safe lijnzaad (I think this is the correct translation in dutch),
to protect the board?

Many Thanks
Nic

Aeolos

Actieve deelnemer
27 nov 2014
Hey Geppetto,

For finishing cutting boards, there's a variety of ways. I'm not sure linseed oil is the way to go here - most of the standard stuff is full of desiccants to help cure the oil, and I wouldn't put that on food stuff. There is the "traditional" BLO from the Cokerije (http://www.hout-olie.nl/), but I'm not sure if I'd do that either. Over here, most people seem to finish their cutting boards with a natural oil like grapeseed oil, which is quite foodsafe.

I'm sure many more forummembers with more expertise can comment further on this.

O Peatey

29 mrt 2010
Enkhuizen
I use always the paraffine oil from IKEA. They sell it especially for cutting boards under the name of SKYD. It is quite cheap.

Ernest Dubois

Post veel
7 jun 2013
shinglemaker.wordpress.com
Hi Nic,

it's lijnolie, and it gets pressed out of lijnzaden.

Mine comes straight from the farmer up the road who grows and presses himself.

But I don't put it on my cutting boards, there I put, niks.

Laatst bewerkt:

Aeolos

Actieve deelnemer
27 nov 2014
That would work just fine for most people, but it's often avoided because of nut allergies. Apparently even the slightest hint of a nut can be enough to send someone into an anaphylactic shock.

Geppetto

Actieve deelnemer
18 mrt 2014
Thanks to everyone, since I work right in front of IKEA, I will stop on my way out and get this SKYD product,
but I also heard really good things about Tung oil, so when I get a chance I will order one from De Cokerije.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.

Nic

Bert Vanderveen

Oud hout
1 sep 2015
Enschede, Twente
The kind of oil you use is not that important (it should be edible), the most important thing is to oil your board regularly, eg at least once a month. Oiling is what keeps it clean (capillary action of the wood fibers).

Deze plek is voor toekomstige tekst. Door nu alvast deze kolom te activeren blijft de kolommen structuur ongewijzigd en de lezerservaring hetzelfde als er hier content geplaatst gaat worden.

Hier kan straks ook info geplaatst worden.