New to Amsterdam - Worshops and resources

Simon G

Nieuw lid
7 jul 2015
I'm new to Amsterdam and looking for somewhere to do some woodwork. Are there workshops or woodworking clubs in the city where you can pay a membership or other usage fee to use their tools?

Also, what are the best stores to putchase tools and timber? Are there any places where you can buy recycled building materials?

My apologies for posting in English, I've started learning some dutch but nowhere near enough to make myself understood!

Wim Kluck

Oud hout
28 feb 2010
Gaanderen
Welcom to our forum. The re are several good woodworking shops in the netherlands. In Amsterdam is the amsterdamse fijnhouthandel. Just look on the Internet for adress. Masave is our forumsupplier. You can find him at the top of the homepage. One of the best toolshops in the netherlands is baptist voor houtbewerkers. The are in arnhem. Teygeler Danzigerkade 1, 1013 AP Amsterdam
Sorry for the mistakes but i have tryed to answer in english. Next time in dutch

henkverhaar

Oud hout
20 jan 2011
Nijswiller
www.buroverhaar.nl
Note that Amsterdamse Fijnhouthandel (Minervahavenweg) has a huge selection of hardwood, but are also a dealer for Dictum hand tools, and have a nice selection of tools in store. As Wim sez, the absolute undisputed best place in NL to go for tools, accessories and gadgets is Baptist in Arnhem - unfortunately, the Netherlands does not nearly have the facilities you find in the UK or the US, as far as high end amateur woodworking supplies is concerned. Dunno about public workshops though.

lemen

Post veel
23 mrt 2014
midden tussen de noorse sparren
Welcome Simon!
I can understand your feelings living in a country with a difficult language:D
On the other hand: woodworking.nl gives the idea that they are international!

I don't know where in Amsterdam you live, but in Amsterdam-Noord is a shop where you can buy most tools. Burger & Zn, Hagedoornweg neaar Mosveld. They have also a second shop at the Meeuwenlaan.
They do NOT have the same brands! What they don't have in store, they can order. Nice people.

For recycled wood... I don't know if they are still there, and I don't know the adres, but if you drive the IJtunnel form north to centrum and you are just out of the tunnel there is a small road beside the mainroad. There is a recycle buildingmaterials 'shop'

Okke

Actieve deelnemer
29 mei 2010
You could also take a look at gereedschappro.nl.
they have a store in Zandvoort i think.

Ernest Dubois

Post veel
7 jun 2013
shinglemaker.wordpress.com
At one time, (when I paid attention to what went on in Amsterdam), there was a muebekmaker offering workshops and I thought even Houtenmeubelringscollage was doing short evening courses. That was then, if it is so now I cannot say

Simon G

Nieuw lid
7 jul 2015
Thanks for the fast replies, this seems like a very active forum! I'm in the Westerpark area of Amsterdam, so am close to a few of the shops mentioned as well as Meubelmakers.

Do most of you have your own tools and workshop at home? This seems very difficult given the size of houses/apartments here so i had thought that public worspaces would be available (even if on the outskirts of the city). Though perhaps most people living in the city don't want to build their own furniture!

Caspar Labarre

Actieve deelnemer
4 okt 2008
Thanks for the fast replies, this seems like a very active forum! I'm in the Westerpark area of Amsterdam, so am close to a few of the shops mentioned as well as Meubelmakers.

Do most of you have your own tools and workshop at home? This seems very difficult given the size of houses/apartments here so i had thought that public worspaces would be available (even if on the outskirts of the city). Though perhaps most people living in the city don't want to build their own furniture!

There is a public workshop on the Cliffordstraat ! woodworking area with machine room 35 euro for three months... courses are obligatory If your new to the craft.

If your interested in a handtool course, you can contact me through stoelenmaker.nl

Okke

Actieve deelnemer
29 mei 2010
The houses in the rest of the netherlands aren't that small and/or expensive as they are in Amsterdam ;) .

jwjgielen

Actieve deelnemer
1 apr 2012
Check the "openbare werkplaats" web site.
Great workshop with excellent tools and machines.

Deze plek is voor toekomstige tekst. Door nu alvast deze kolom te activeren blijft de kolommen structuur ongewijzigd en de lezerservaring hetzelfde als er hier content geplaatst gaat worden.

Hier kan straks ook info geplaatst worden.