populier hout

Geppetto

Actieve deelnemer
18 mrt 2014
Hello All,

I am replicating a project from YouTube.
This guys is using poplar wood or populier hout in dutch

Where do you get this? I checked pont meyer where I normally get my wood but
the search directs me to multiplex

Any ideas?

This is the video I follow, and the popler would be used for the face frames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6rebBggLvY

Thanks a lot

Heckemann

Post veel
9 feb 2011
zoetermeer.
The wood used is Yellow Poplar, the Dutch name is "Tulpenhout" (Liriodendron tulipifera). It is not "Populier", but many people make that mistake and are indeed directed tot mutiplex. Rick from masavehout can get you tulpenhout, other lumberyards can sometimes deliver it as well.

Great wood to work with. I personally like the texture and colour, but many find it a 'bit boring.

Best regards, Rob.

damien

Actieve deelnemer
21 aug 2011
Leuven
His poplar is sort of magnolia, where our populier is cottonwood for him, a much lighter wood.

The project is special, a layer on layer on layer project.

----
een beetje late tweede

Geppetto

Actieve deelnemer
18 mrt 2014
Thanks everybody for your reactions, always very helpful here in Holland

... and BTW... good luck at the world cup... of course unless Holland has to play Italy, in which case, sorry... but Forza Italia!!!! :)

henkverhaar

Oud hout
20 jan 2011
Nijswiller
www.buroverhaar.nl
Yellow poplar / tulipwood / Magnolia --- As stated, Amsterdamse Fijnhouthandel, Minervahavenweg in the western harbour quarter (westelijk havengebied), has it. So do Arnhemse fijnhouthandel in, you guessed it, Arnhem. Nijhof in Baarn (an upscale 'brico market' that resells wood from the Amsterdamse fijnhouthandel) may have it once in a while (walk up to the wood counter and ask), and van Dijk in Laren may too - well worth a trip, even after the terrible fire in 2011 that destroyed most of the historic wharf.

H.T

Actieve deelnemer
15 apr 2013
Nijmegen
It looks like magnolia indeed. I did a lot with this type of wood in my interior. Its easy to work with but in my personal experience there are some down sides of it. The first time i work't with it i thought it would be nice to have the green collar which could be seen after it is planed. After a few days de green collar disappeared. It turned out that direct sunlight turned the collar more darker (yeah beginners mistake). Second problem i find is that it is very soft. It's easy to "scar" the wood after you done a nice job on the planing. I did some serious damage on my window ledge after dropping a clamp on it.

Deze plek is voor toekomstige tekst. Door nu alvast deze kolom te activeren blijft de kolommen structuur ongewijzigd en de lezerservaring hetzelfde als er hier content geplaatst gaat worden.

Hier kan straks ook info geplaatst worden.